Prior to February 2013, First Solar provided a prefunded module end-of-life recycling program. In February 2013, this program transitioned to a termed Recycling Service offering with renewable pricing for all customers outside of the European Union.
First Solar will continue to meet its historical recycling obligations and will ensure its recycling program is compliant with market-specific waste requirements. In the European Union (EU), First Solar continues to operate a prefunded module collection and recycling program to ensure compliance with the EU’s Directive on Waste in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE), which as of 2014 will also apply to solar PV modules.
For EU and pre-2013 sales customers, First Solar implements an unconditional, prefunded Collection and Recycling Program for damaged and end-of-life modules.
- Funding: With the sale of each module, First Solar sets aside sufficient funds to meet the estimated future collection and recycling costs of its modules. These funds are put into custodial accounts in the name of a Trustee. Only the Trustee can distribute the funds and these funds cannot be accessed for any purpose other than for administering module collection and recycling. Learn more »
- Registration: The original module owner is required to register their installation with First Solar. Installation records are used to optimize the design of the Module Collection and Recycling Program
- Notice: Individual modules are labeled with website and telephone contact information, along with the information for the owner on how to return the end-of-life module.
- Collection: First Solar manages the logistics of collecting each module and provides packaging and transportation to the recycling center. Learn more »
- Recycling: Approximately 90 percent (by mass) of each collected First Solar PV module is recycled into new products, including new solar modules. All recycling processes are conducted in accordance with local environmental, health, safety and waste management regulations. Learn more »
- Improvement: The program, including the financing structure, is audited periodically by an independent third party to ensure it is achieving its goals and to identify areas for continuous improvement.
Collection and Recycling Request
To submit a request for collection electronically, please click here.