The Manildra Solar Farm occupies 120 hectares of land approximately 1 km east of Manildra in New South Wales (NSW), Australia and provides significant economic and environmental benefits, in addition to creating direct and indirect jobs and developing skills in a growing industry, and supporting small businesses.
Approximately 466,000 First Solar thin film photovoltaic (PV) modules power the 48.5 megawatt (MW) project and will produce enough solar energy to serve the needs of approximately 14,000 average NSW homes. This will displace more than 91,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year – the equivalent of taking about 24,000 cars off the road.
The Manildra Solar Farm supports Australia in its efforts toward providing 23.5 per cent of its energy from renewable resources by 2020, while further establishing regional NSW as a leader in renewable energy.
Enough to power 14,000 average homes
- Displaces 91,000 tons of CO2 emissions annually, equivalent to taking 24,000 cars off the road
- Lowest environmental impact of any PV technology
- No water used for electricity generation
- Significant economic and environmental benefits for regional NSW
First Solar is committed to the communities in which it operates and will strive to minimise environmental impact while maximising clean energy output. When in operation, our systems generate electricity with no water use, no air emissions, and no waste production, with the smallest carbon footprint of any PV technology available.
June update:In June, the Manildra Solar Farm achieved completion of the construction activities through the relocation of the overhead power line that traversed the north western sector of the site. With construction complete, the focus has shifted to demobilization and cleanup, as the temporary project offices and balance of materials are removed from the site. The project continues to export power and is working through the commissioning and testing cycles with the network service provider. The project Operational Environment Management Plan recently attained DPE approval. The plan outlines the environmental considerations as the project transitions from construction into operations..
A community open day will be held in late August. The details including the timing and registration process will be published shortly.
The project, through its Community Engagement Plan, is committed to reinvesting in the local community through the Manildra Solar Farm community fund, a managed development fund supporting community based initiatives, projects and events that target a range of community needs including environment, education, youth, social, culture, sport, recreation and economic development.
The first recipients of the Manildra Solar Farm Community Fund have been awarded. The next opportunity to apply will commence in June. The details including the application period will be published shortly.
RCR O'Donnell Griffin Pty ltd
Number Of Modules:
Estimated Annual Energy Output:
Global Horizontal Irradiance:
- 48.5 MWProject Size
- 91,000Tons C02 Displaced Annually
- 14,000Homes Powered
- 24,000Cars Removed
- ARENA Project Data February 2017
- Biodiversity Offset Strategy
- Community Information Plan
- Flora and Fauna Management Plan
- Groundcover Management Plan
- Landscape Plan
- Development Approval
- Development Approval Modification 1
- Development Approval Modification 2
- Construction Environmental Management Plan
- Manildra Solar Farm - ARENA Knowledge Sharing - Project Financing
- Manildra Solar Farm Community Fund Application
- Manildra Solar Farm_Operational Environmental Management Plan
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Sept
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Aug
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Oct
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Nov
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Dec
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Jan 18
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Feb 18
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Mar 18
- Environmental Representative (ER) Inspection Report, Apr 18
- Environmental Representative ER Inspection Report, May 18
- Environmental Representative ER Inspection Report, Jun 18